BENEFITS OF LEMON
Lemons are wonderful source of calcium, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium; all of which help to improve the appearance and condition of our skin, hair and nails and hence health benefits of lemons are very important to be known. (lemon benefits for health)
ORIGIN: The origin of lemon is unknown, though lemons are thought to have first grown in Assam (a region in north east India), northern Burma or China. A genomic study of lemon indicated it was a hybrid between bitter orange (sour orange) and citron. Lemons are very popular and widely spread worldwide because of its numerous health benefits. (lemon benefits for health)
Apart from this lemon also contains
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6.
Hot water lemon benefits
Drinking lemon juice with hot water every morning helps in maintaining the pH level in the body. Drinking lemon water helps digestion. Lemon juice in warm water can help flush out the digestion system and rehydrate the body. Drinking lemon water can help purify the skin and body. It can induce skin cells to detox and force out impurities and sweat, which can clog pores, which in turn reduces acne.
Lemon benefits for skin
- Lemons provide a dose of the free radical fighting antioxidants (bioflavonoids)vitamin C, which helps keep skin even- toned and helps boost the body’s immune system.
- Lemon acts as a skin astringent as it helps motivate pores to close and face to tighten resulting in smoother skin.
- Lemons have antiseptic qualities which help exfoliate dead cells.
- Lemon juice is a natural alkalizing agent, and helps to maintain a steady pH balance in the body.
- It also acts like clarifying moisturiser which shows its antibacterial properties.
- Other benefits of lemon for skin are to help in treatment of blackheads, elbow and knee lightener, skin brightener, teeth whitener, shine eliminator, lip exfoliator, nail straightener and many more.
Lemon benefits for hair
- Lemons aid in fighting dandruff and pesky flakes. Its antibacterial and anti- inflammatory qualities can also help soothe skin irritations affiliated with dandruff.
- Vitamin C in lemon can improve the rate at which your hair grows by boosting the production of collagen (3), (4). It helps clean the scalp and unclog hair follicles, which reduces dandruff and hair fall.
- Lemon is a natural bleaching agent. It is also used for lightening the hair and used as natural bleach.
Lemon benefits for face
- Lemon juice may help reduce skin damage and premature aging due to its antioxidant property.
- Lemon can decrease oil on the skin and reduce inflammation due to its high pH levels and astringent qualities.
- Helps in skin lightening including age spots and acne scars.
Lemon benefits for weight loss
- lemon water is low in calories and can promote fullness in the same way as regular water, and hence it can be an effective way to help reduce calorie intake. Drinking simple lemon water on an empty stomach everyday just 20 to 30 minutes before breakfast helps in burning belly fat and loosing weight.
Lemon benefits for kidney
- Citrate, a salt in citric acid, binds to calcium and helps block stone formation. “studies have shown that drinking ½ cup of lemon juice concentrate diluted in water each day, or the juice of two lemons, can increase urine citrate and likely reduce kidney stone risk,’’ says Dr. Eisner.
Lemon benefits for liver
- Lemons are a natural stimulant to the liver and is a great liver detoxifier. It also helps replenish your body’s mineral supply and quench your thirst.
Health benefits of lemon for women
- Lemon is a citric fruit which contains flavonoids which helps in lowering the risk of ischemic stroke in women. Ischemic stroke is a very common type of stroke which occurs when a blood clot blocks the flow of blood to the brain.
- The antioxidant property of lemon is very beneficial for women. Applying lemon juice can decrease blemishes and wrinkles. It can also be applied to scars and age spots to reduce their appearance. It maintains our skins radiance by detoxifying our blood.
Health benefits of hot lemon water in morning
- Drinking hot water with lemon juice in morning helps in rehydrating the body and flushing out the toxins and improves digestive system which in turns helps with a clearer complexion
- Hot lemon water in morning has many benefits. It acts as a natural liver aid. Our body restores and regenerate while sleeping and the liver is hard at work processing and flushing out toxins. Drinking hit lemon water in morning helps wake up our liver and stimulate proper stomach acid production and bile production to aid in digestion.
Other medicinal benefits
- The health benefits of lemons are so wide. The fruit, juice and peel are used to make medicine. Lemon is used to treat scurvy. It is also used for the common cold and flu, H1N1 (swine) flu, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), Meniere’s disease, stomach upset and vomiting from pregnancy and kidney stones.
Harmful effects of lemon
- applying lemon to the skin can increase the chance of sunburn, especially in light- skinned people.
- The acidic nature of lemon can erode your tooth enamel (says the American dental association).
- Squeezing too much of lemon in your water can cause dangerous side effects to your health including worsening ulcers and developing GERD, Livestrong reports.
- Lemon skin serves as a host for unpleasant organisms. In a 2007 in the journal of environmental health, researchers tested the rinds and flesh of lemons from more than 21 restaurants. In conclusion they found that nearly 70% of the lemons contained organisms such as E. Coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.
(this can be overcome easily by not dropping the whole wedge inside the jar and just squeeze the juice)
- Citrus fruits including lemon may trigger migraines.
- Using too much concentrated lemon juice to the hairs can make it weak, hairs may lose its natural colour and turn grown or blond.
Disclaimer : Candefine does not promise that the information provided on this page is 100% accurate.